Students are responsible for meeting the graduation requirements set forth in the catalog at the time of their matriculation. Graduation requirements include:
- Completion of the required hours of study for the appropriate degree as outlined in the catalog. No more than twenty percent of the total hours for a degree may be fulfilled through guided research or independent study. A minimum grade point average of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale must be attained in order to complete any program.
- Completion of Field Education/practicum/clinical requirements that are specified for the degree.
- Completion of any language requirements, research requirements, or comprehensive examinations that are specified for the degree.
- Completion of all assessment requirements for the particular program of the Seminary as outlined in the Student Assessment Handbook. This includes the completion of a Student Portfolio.
- The final 12 hours for any program must be taken as a resident student through Urbana Seminary course work. For all programs, 50 percent of the course credits applied toward the degree must be satisfied through Urbana Seminary course work. Any additional residency requirements under each program must be fulfilled.
- All financial obligations to Urbana Seminary must be settled with the school by the expected graduation date.
- Attendance at the graduation ceremony when the degree is granted is expected. In rare circumstances, requests to graduate in absentia may be granted when such request is made in writing to the Seminary office.
Graduation with Honors
The following criteria on a 4.0 scale are used to determine the awarding of honors for graduating students:
- Cum laude minimum GPA of 3.50
- Magna cum laude minimum GPA of 3.75
- Summa cum laude minimum GPA of 3.90
Students must apply for graduation the Friday before Urbana Seminary's spring break. A printable application can be found online.