An exploration of the dynamics of the spiritual life as well as the process of spiritual growth. This will lead to personal assessment of the student’s character, temperament, gifts, and other traits relevant to ministry. Emphasis will be placed both on personal spiritual formation of the student as well as on guiding and counseling others in spiritual formation. Students will explore a scriptural approach to discipleship, as well as various spiritual disciplines, including prayer, meditation, and reading of scripture.
- Boa, Kenneth. Conformed to His Image: Biblical and Practical Approaches to Spiritual Formation. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2001.
- Richard J. Foster. Celebration of Discipline: The Path to Spiritual Growth. 3rd ed. San Francisco: Harper, 1998.
- Malphurs, Aubrey. Strategic Disciple Making: A Practical Tool for Successful Ministry. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2009.
- Mulholland, M. Robert. Invitation to a Journey: A Road Map for Spiritual Formation. Expanded by Ruth Haley Barton. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2016.
- Willard, Dallas. Renovation of the Heart: Putting on the Character of Christ. 10th Anniversary Edition. Colorado Springs: NavPress, 2012.
Required Assignments (and weight):
- 15% Reading Completion, Participation, and Preparedness
- 15% Self-Reflection on Divine Design (Personality, Passion, and Giftedness) and Spiritual Path
- 15% Response to Renovation of the Heart
- 15% Report on Spiritual Disciplines
- 15% Summary of Key Learnings and Trajectories for Future Growth
- 25% Paper: A Biblical and Practical Theology of Discipleship