Welcome to the Urbana Theological Seminary Bookstore! To find books and other items for a specific class, scroll down until you find that class. Other books can be found here, too–books relating to upcoming or recent events, books by our faculty, and even faculty recommendations! So, you are more than welcome to visit our bookstore for more than just textbooks–next time you are looking for a good book to read, check us out!
Your purchases from Amazon through this page support the seminary. As an Amazon Associate, we earn a small amount of money from qualifying purchases.
Fall 2020 Book Lists
BI 620 300: God’s Call to Justice, Equity, and Hope: The Message & World of the 8th Century Prophets
- Hays, J. Daniel. The Message of the Prophets: A Survey of the Prophetic and Apocalyptic Books of the Old Testament. Zondervan, 2010.
BI 501 100: Old Testament Survey
- Hill, Andrew and Walton, John. A Survey of the Old Testament (third edition). Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2009.
- Rasmussen, Carl. Zondervan Essential Atlas of the Bible. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2013.
- Richter, Sandra. The Epic of Eden: A Christian Entry into the Old Testament. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2008.
- Packet of class notes on “The Old Testament,” available through Urbana Seminary Bookstore.
- A modern translation or paraphrase of the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament.
- A set of colored pens/pencils
- Bruce, F. Revised by Payne, D. Israel and the Nations: The History of Israel from the Exodus to the Fall of the Second Temple. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity, 1997.
- Dillard, Raymond and Longman, Tremper III. An Introduction to the Old Testament. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2004.
- Walton, John. A Survey of the Old Testament (Zondervan Get an A! Study Guides). Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2007.
CT 740 300: There and Back Again: The Work of J.R.R. Tolkien
- Tolkien, J. R. R. The Lord of the Rings. One Volume. ISBN: 978-0618640157
- Tolkien, J. R. R. The Silmarillion. ISBN: 978-0544338012
- Tolkien, J. R. R. The Tolkien Reader. ISBN: 978-0345345066
- Tolkien, J. R. R. The Hobbit. ISBN: 978-0547928227
CT 510 100: Christian Ethics
- Allman, Mark J. Who Would Jesus Kill? War, Peace, and the Christian Tradition. Winona, MN: St. Mary’s Press, 2008. ISBN: 978-0884899846
- Boulton, Wayne G., Thomas D. Kennedy, and Allen Verhey, eds. From Christ to the World: Introductory Readings in Christian Ethics. Grand Rapids, MI: W. B. Eerdmans, 1994. ISBN: 978-0802806406
- Hauerwas, Stanley. The Peaceable Kingdom: A Primer in Christian Ethics. Notre Dame, IN: University of Notre Dame Press, 1983. ISBN: 978-0268015541
- Reuschling, Wyndy Corbin. Reviving Evangelical Ethics: The Promises and Pitfalls of Classic Models of Morality. Grand Rapids, MI: Brazos Press, 2007. ISBN: 978-1587431890
CT 501 100: Theology I
- Barth, Karl. Evangelical Theology: An Introduction. Translated by Grover Foley. Grand Rapids, MI: W. B. Eerdmans, 1992. ISBN: 978-0802818195
- McGrath, Alister E. Christian Theology: An Introduction. Sixth Edition. London: Wiley-Blackwell, 2017. ISBN: 978-1118869574
- Migliore, Daniel L. Faith Seeking Understanding: An Introduction to Christian Theology. Third Edition. Grand Rapids, MI: W. B. Eerdmans, 2014. ISBN: 978-0802871855
- Thielicke, Helmut. A Little Exercise for Young Theologians. Translated by Charles L. Taylor. Grand Rapids, MI: W. B. Eerdmans, 1962. ISBN: 978-0802874153
CH 501 100: History of World Christianity I: Early and Medieval
- The Rise of Christianity: How the Obscure, Marginal Jesus Movement Became the Dominant Religious Force in the Western World in a Few Centuries
Harper San Francisco, 1997
- The Spirit of Early Christian Thought: Seeking the Face of God
Robert Louis Wilken
Yale University Press, 2003
Translated by R. S. Pine-Coffin
Penguin Classics, 1961
- The Rule of Saint Benedict
St. Benedict (Thomas Moore, Foreward)
- Religion and the Rise of Western Culture
Image Books, Doubleday, 1991
- How the Irish Saved Civilization: The Untold Story of Ireland’s Heroic Role From the Fall of Rome to the Rise of Medieval Europe
- The Age of Reform, 1250-1550: An Intellectual and Religious History of Late Medieval and Reformation Europe
Yale University, 1980
PM 615 100: Christian Civic Engagement and Witness
PM 760 600: On Mission: Across the Street and Around the World
- Mangalwadi, Vishal & Ruth. The Legacy of William Carey: A model for the transformation of a culture. Crossway Books. 1999. ISBN 1-58134-112-1
- Marie, Jeannie. Across the Street and Around the World: Following Jesus to the nations in your neighborhood and beyond. Thomas Nelson. 2018. ISBN 978-1-4002-0713-5
- Newell, Marvin J. Crossing Cultures in Scripture: Biblical Principles for Mission Practice. IVP. 2016. ISBN 978-0-8308-7333-3
- Willis, Avery. The Biblical Basis of Missions: Your mission as a Christian. Convention Press. Nashville, TN. 1992.
- Tucker, Ruth A. From Jerusalem to Irian Jaya: A Biographical History of Christian Missions. Zondervan Academic. 2nd Edition. ISBN 9780310239376
FM 502 100: Spiritual Formation and Discipleship
- Boa, Kenneth. Conformed to His Image: Biblical and Practical Approaches to Spiritual Formation. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2001. ISBN: 978-0-310-23848-5.
- Richard J. Foster. Celebration of Discipline: The Path to Spiritual Growth. 3rd ed. San Francisco: Harper, 1998. ISBN: 978-0-0606-2839-0 (any edition is OK).
- Malphurs, Aubrey. Strategic Disciple Making: A Practical Tool for Successful Ministry. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2009. ISBN: 978-0-8010-9196-4.
- Mulholland, M. Robert. Invitation to a Journey: A Road Map for Spiritual Formation. Expanded by Ruth Haley Barton. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2016. ISBN: 978-0-8308-4617-7.
- Willard, Dallas. Renovation of the Heart: Putting on the Character of Christ. 10th Anniversary Edition. Colorado Springs: NavPress, 2012. ISBN: 978-1-6152-1632-1.
Interested in what our faculty have been working on? Here are a few faculty titles:
- The Literary Coherence of the Book of Micah: Remnant, Restoration, and Promise
- Perfect Harmony: Interracial Churches in Early Holiness-Pentecostalism, 1880-1909
- Bigger on the Inside: Christianity and Doctor Who
- Religion and Human Enhancement: Death, Values, and Morality
- Transhumanism and Transcendence: Christian Hope in an Age of Technological Enhancement
- C.S. Lewis: The Chronicles of Narnia