Welcome to the Urbana Theological Seminary Bookstore! To find books and other items for a specific class, scroll down until you find that class. Other books can be found here, too–books relating to upcoming or recent events, books by our faculty, and even faculty recommendations! So, you are more than welcome to visit our bookstore for more than just textbooks–next time you are looking for a good book to read, check us out!
Your purchases from Amazon through this page support the seminary. As an Amazon Associate, we earn a small amount of money from qualifying purchases.
New Faculty Publications
Dr. Daly’s new book, Chasing Methuselah: Theology, the Body, and Slowing Human Aging, was just published in February 2021!
Fall 2021 Book Lists
BI 740 450: How should we live? The Jesus Movement in Ephesus
- On the historical and cultural context of Ephesus:
- Jerome Murphy-O’Connor, St. Paul’s Ephesus: Texts and Archaeology, Liturgical Press, 2008. (assigned portions)
- David deSilva, A Week in the Life of Ephesus, InterVarsity, 2020. (167 pages)
- An exposition of Ephesians:
- John Stott, The Message of Ephesians (Bible Speaks Today), InterVarsity, reprint 2021. (272 pages)
- Choose a commentary on Ephesians (you may use others than the ones on this list, but please communicate with the instructor which one you are interested in working through):
- Clinton Arnold, Ephesians (ZECNT), Zondervan, 2010. (544 pages)
- Darrell Bock, Ephesians (TNTC), InterVarsity, 2019. (240 pages)
- Lynn Cohick, The Letter to the Ephesians (NICNT), Eerdmans, 2020. (521 pages)
- Frank Thielman, Ephesians (BECNT), Baker, 2010. (544 pages)
- An exposition of 1 & 2 Timothy:
- John Stott, The Message of 1 Timothy & Titus (Bible Speaks Today), InterVarsity, reprint 2021. (256 pages)
- John Stott, The Message of 2 Timothy (Bible Speaks Today), InterVarsity, reprint 2021. (128 pages)
- Choose a commentary on 1 & 2 Timothy (you may use others than the ones on this list, but please communicate with the instructor which one you are interested in working through):
- Andreas J. Köstenberger, 1-2 Timothy & Titus (EBTC), Lexham, 2021. (640 pages total)
- William Mounce, Pastoral Epistles (WBC), Zondervan, 2016. (778 pages total)
- Philip Towner, The Letters to Timothy and Titus (NICNT), Eerdmans, 2006. (934 pages total)
- Ben Witherington, III, Letters and Homilies for Hellenized Christians: A Socio-Rhetorical Commentary on Titus, 1-2 Timothy and 1-3 John, InterVarsity, 2014. (623 pages total)
- Robert Yarbrough, The Letters to Timothy and Titus (PNTC), Eerdmans, 2018. (608 pages total)
BI 501 100: Old Testament Survey
- Hill, Andrew and Walton, John. A Survey of the Old Testament (third edition). Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2009.
- Rasmussen, Carl. Zondervan Essential Atlas of the Bible. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2013.
- Richter, Sandra. The Epic of Eden: A Christian Entry into the Old Testament. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2008.
- Packet of class notes on “The Old Testament,” available through Urbana Seminary Bookstore.
- A modern translation or paraphrase of the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament.
- A set of colored pens/pencils
- Bruce, F. Revised by Payne, D. Israel and the Nations: The History of Israel from the Exodus to the Fall of the Second Temple. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity, 1997.
- Dillard, Raymond and Longman, Tremper III. An Introduction to the Old Testament. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2004.
- Walton, John. A Survey of the Old Testament (Zondervan Get an A! Study Guides). Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2007.
CH 740 405: Understanding Evangelicalism: A History
- An Introduction to German Pietism: Protestant Renewal at the Dawn of Modern Europe by Douglas H. Shantz
- Turning Points in the History of American Evangelicalism by Heath W. Carter
CT 620 100: Christian Bioethics
- Bynum, William. The History of Medicine: A Very Short Introduction. Oxford, Eng.: Oxford University Press, 2008.
- Lysaught, M. Therese, Joseph J. Kotva Jr., Stephen E. Lammers and Allen Verhey, eds. On Moral Medicine: Theological Perspectives in Medical Ethics. Third Edition. Grand Rapids, MI: W. B. Eerdmans, 2012.
- Meilaender, Gilbert. Bioethics: A Primer for Christians. Fourth Edition. Grand Rapids, MI: W. B. Eerdmans, 2020.
CT 740 355: What’s a Christian to Do with Harry Potter?
CT 502 100: Theology II
- Bloesch, Donald G. The Church: Sacraments, Worship, Ministry, Mission. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 2002.
- Grenz, Stanley J. The Millennial Maze: Sorting Out Evangelical Options. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1992.
- McGrath, Alister E. Christian Theology: An Introduction. Sixth Edition. London: Wiley-Blackwell, 2010.
- Migliore, Daniel L. Faith Seeking Understanding. 3rd ed. Grand Rapids, MI: W. B. Eerdmans, 2014.
- Walls, Jerry L. Hell: The Logic of Damnation. Notre Dame, IN: University of Notre Dame Press, 1992.
PM 554 100: World Christian Movement: A Gateway to Mission
FM 740 100: Reading and Praying Scripture for Spiritual Transformation
- Casey, Michael. Sacred Reading: The Ancient Art of Lectio Divina. Ligouri, MO: Ligouri/Triumph, 1995. ISBN-13: 978-0892438914.
- Johnson, Jan. Meeting God in Scripture: A Hands-on Guide to Lectio Divina. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity, 2016. ISBN-13: 978-0830846221.
- Mulholland, M. Robert. Shaped by the Word: The Power of Scripture in Spiritual Formation. Revised ed. Nashville, TN: Upper Room Books, 2000. ISBN-13: 978-0835809368.
- Peterson, Eugene H. Eat This Book: A Conversation in the Art of Spiritual Reading. Grand Rapids, Mich.: Eerdmans, 2009. ISBN: 978-0802864901.
- Wilhoit, James C., and Evan B. Howard. Discovering Lectio Divina: Bringing Scripture into Ordinary Life. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity, 2012. ISBN-13: 978-0830835706.
Interested in what our faculty have been working on? Here are a few faculty titles:
- Chasing Methuselah: Theology, the Body, and Slowing Human Aging – written by Todd Daly
- The Literary Coherence of the Book of Micah: Remnant, Restoration, and Promise – written by Ken Cuffey
- Perfect Harmony: Interracial Churches in Early Holiness-Pentecostalism, 1880-1909 – written by Joe Thomas
- Bigger on the Inside: Christianity and Doctor Who – chapter contributed by Melody Green
- Religion and Human Enhancement: Death, Values, and Morality – chapter contributed Todd Daly
- Transhumanism and Transcendence: Christian Hope in an Age of Technological Enhancement – chapter contributed by Todd Daly
- C.S. Lewis: The Chronicles of Narnia – chapter contributed by Melody Green