Welcome to the Urbana Theological Seminary Bookstore! To find books and other items for a specific class, scroll down until you find that class. Other books can be found here, too–books relating to upcoming or recent events, books by our faculty, and even faculty recommendations! So, you are more than welcome to visit our bookstore for more than just textbooks–next time you are looking for a good book to read, check us out!
Your purchases from Amazon through this page support the seminary. As an Amazon Associate, we earn a small amount of money from qualifying purchases.
New Faculty Publications
Dr. Daly’s new book, Chasing Methuselah: Theology, the Body, and Slowing Human Aging, was just published in February 2021!
Spring 2021 Book Lists
BI 605 200: Book of Acts
Required – An exposition of Acts
- John Stott, The Message of Acts (Bible Speaks Today), InterVarsity, 1994. (428 pages)
Required – Choose one of the following commentaries or expositions on Acts
- Darrell Bock, Acts (BECNT), Baker, 2007.
- James M. Boice, Acts (Expositional Commentary), Baker, 2006.
- F. F. Bruce, The Acts of the Apostles: The Greek Text with Introduction and Commentary, Eerdmans, 1951.
- F. F. Bruce, The Book of Acts (NICNT; revised edition), Eerdmans, 1988.
- Ajith Fernando, Acts (NIVAC), Zondervan, 1998.
- R. Kent Hughes, Acts: The Church Afire (Preaching the Word), Crossway, 2014.
- I. Howard Marshall, Acts (TNTC), InterVarsity, 2008.
- David Peterson, The Acts of the Apostles (Pillar), Eerdmans, 2009.
- Ben Witherington, The Acts of the Apostles: A Socio-Rhetorical Commentary, Eerdmans, 1997.
BI 502 100: New Testament Survey
- Burge, G. and Green, G. The New Testament in Antiquity: A Survey of the New Testament within its Cultural Contexts. 2nd edition. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2020.
- Rasmussen, Carl. Zondervan Essential Atlas of the Bible. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2013.
- Wright, Christopher. Salvation Belongs to Our God: Celebrating the Bible’s Central Story. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2008.
- Packet of class notes on “The New Testament,” available through Urbana Seminary Bookstore, or in electronic form.
- A modern translation of the New Testament
- A set of colored pens/pencils.
- Elwell, Walter A. Readings from the First-Century World. Grand Rapids: Baker Books, 1998.
- Bruce, F. Revised by Payne, D. Israel and the Nations: The History of Israel from the Exodus to the Fall of the Second Temple. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity, 1997.
- Carson, D. and Moo, D. An Introduction to the New Testament. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2005.
- Gundry, Robert. A Survey of the New Testament (Zondervan Get an A! Study Guides). Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2007.
CT 520 100: Apologetics
- Ayala, Francisco J. Darwin and Intelligent Design. Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2006.
- Grenz, Stanley J. A Primer on Postmodernism. Grand Rapids, MI: W. B. Eerdmans, 1996.
- Groothuis, Douglas. Christian Apologetics: A Comprehensive Case for Biblical Faith. Downers Grove, IL: IVP Academic, 2011.
- Lewis, C. S. The Problem of Pain. New York: Touchstone, 1996.
- Sweis, Khaldoun A. and Chad V. Meister, eds. Christian Apologetics: An Anthology of Primary Sources. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2012.
CT 740 350: Christianity and Children’s Literature
- Patterson, Katherine. The Same Stuff as Stars. 978-0544540309
- Lewis, C. S. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. 978-0064404990
- L’Engle, Madeline. A Wrinkle in Time. 978-0312367541
- O’Dell, Scott. The Hawk that Dare not Hunt by Day. 978-0890843680
- Pope, Elizabeth Marie. The Perilous Gard. (currently out of print; used paperback copies are not too expensive)
- St. John, Patricia. Treasures of the Snow. 978-0802465757
- Stretton, Hesba. Jessica’s First Prayer. 978-1521290545
- Janeway, James. A Token for Children. 978-1528561662
- Jackson, Dave & Neta. The Queen’s Smuggler. 978-1939445049
CT 502 100: Theology II
- Bloesch, Donald G. The Church: Sacraments, Worship, Ministry, Mission. Downers Grove, IL: Intervarsity Press, 2002.
- Grenz, Stanley J. The Millennial Maze: Sorting Out Evangelical Options. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1992.
- McGrath, Alister E. Christian Theology: An Introduction. Sixth Edition. London: Wiley-Blackwell, 2010.
- Migliore, Daniel L. Faith Seeking Understanding. 3rd ed. Grand Rapids, MI: W. B. Eerdmans, 2014.
- Walls, Jerry L. Hell: The Logic of Damnation. Notre Dame, IN: University of Notre Dame Press, 1992.
CH 502 100: History of World Christianity II
- Carter Lindberg, "The European Reformations"
- Richard R. Gaillardetz & Catherine E. Clifford, "Keys to the Council: Unlocking the Teaching of Vatican II"
- Douglas Sweeney, "The American Evangelical Story: A History of the Movement"
- Ed. Elsie McKee, "Church Mother: The Writings of a Protestant Reformer in the Sixteenth-Century Germany, Katahrina Schutz Zell"
- Joseph L. Thomas, "Perfect Harmony: Interracial Churches in the Early Holiness-Pentecostal Movement"
FM 501 100: Ministry and Evangelism in Cultural Context
Interested in what our faculty have been working on? Here are a few faculty titles:
- Chasing Methuselah: Theology, the Body, and Slowing Human Aging – written by Todd Daly
- The Literary Coherence of the Book of Micah: Remnant, Restoration, and Promise – written by Ken Cuffey
- Perfect Harmony: Interracial Churches in Early Holiness-Pentecostalism, 1880-1909 – written by Joe Thomas
- Bigger on the Inside: Christianity and Doctor Who – chapter contributed by Melody Green
- Religion and Human Enhancement: Death, Values, and Morality – chapter contributed Todd Daly
- Transhumanism and Transcendence: Christian Hope in an Age of Technological Enhancement – chapter contributed by Todd Daly
- C.S. Lewis: The Chronicles of Narnia – chapter contributed by Todd Daly